I went to the Brimstone Fort today and being the history fanatic that I am, I must say it was brilliant! Up on the mountain top, over looking the sea, a mighty stone fortress still stands. It was the first one built on the hexagon plan by King George of England and was the "latest" in military technology. Fortified by long and short range cannons, hundreds of loyal soldiers and a virtually impenetrable location the fort was thought of as the 'Gibraltar' of the West. It was self sufficient in that it had barracks, a kitchen, munitions areas, even a school room for the few children that were there. (Six wives out of every 100 men were allowed to go, based on a lottery.) It was a treat and was worth the trek.
I was also able to enjoy more water activity in the evening - which was geared toward relaxing and having 'girl time.' It was a good day.
Rebekah is getting ready to go to Idaho with the Parker's while I'm gone and the little ones are all off to Yellow Stone with their dad. It hasn't been an easy summer for them, but to their credit they are my children - they are strong! I know they will make the best of it and enjoy what they can.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Caribbean Fortress
Posted by The Fantastic 5 at 1:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment