CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

The Fantastic 5

The Fantastic 5
Beware our Super Powers
We are whole and complete as a Family. We love, laugh and live together - lifting one another up and becoming stronger as we grow. We believe in eachother and cheer for one another without fear or hesitation. We will always be one - no matter where we are or who we are with... the ties that bind us are not perceptible by the eye but are unbreakable and eternal. We are pieces of one soul branching out into the world in different ways and with different talents but always grounded by the same root. We are a Family. Our common tie that brings in our nourishment and plants us firmly in the storm is that singular family root we derive from. Unique, unfettered and full of a million possibilies we bloom, because we always have the same root - we have eachother. (Photo by www.cowleystudios.com)

Friday, August 29, 2008

Weeping Buddha

Y'all have been wondering what happened to me... Life. We hit the ground running. We arrived back in CA about two and a half weeks ago. The kids did Bible School at my parent's church with their cousins, we swam daily and squeezed all the fun we could every second of the two weeks we had before school began.



I did finally get confirmation that I am teaching at DeAnza College - thankfully. And it looks like they intend to keep me. My term starts Sept. 21. I have some time but am madly trying to assemble a syllabus and select texts for my class. (I am teaching Western Civ. 1350 to 1750)



Tuesday was the big day for the girls and Wednesday was for Ramsey. School started. They are all enjoying their teachers and classes. They are all thankful to be at the schools they will remain in while we live in California (no more changes)! They were so excited and nervous that we had lots up upset tummies Monday night. But thankfully our home teacher came by and gave each of the children and me a blessing before the school year commences. It did help calm things significantly.



Labor Day weekend is coming. I will avoid posting too much but will say that I have been harassed, yelled at and inundated by the children's father. I wish that he would just be kind to them and leave me alone... But regardless, it will be over in three days.



I actually want to share something that speaks to me... this is an excerpt of how I phrased it in an email to a friend: the Weeping Buddha.



The legend of the Weeping Buddha is essentially a tale riddled with deep tragedy. As a warrior, Prince Siddhartha Gautama went off to fight battles and obtain glory - he thus spent years away from his family. Eventually, upon his journey home he encountered a young and confident warrior with whom he engaged in battle. Siddhartha was of course victorious and killed his enemy. Once the conflict was over, he saw this enemy's face for the first time. It was his son... Siddhartha laid down his armor and weapons and dropped to the ground weeping. He vowed to only embark on a peaceful existence - ergo a Prince becomes the Buddha.



The traditional stance of the Buddha is of course the lotus position, the Weeping Buddha is this, but with him crumpled up into his own lap, sobbing.

This story speaks to me - I know that at some juncture in this mortal life each one of us is put in this state... some tragedy, some loss that generates unspeakable pain. -Something that hits us so deeply, so profoundly that it is the catalyst for immeasurable change. We started as one person but emerge as another. For me, this was my divorce - for my sister it was when her first son died... In the end we are never who we were. And our lives mean more and our capacity is greater because of it.

And while on the surface this connotes tragedy, in truth it is beauty. It is the 'refiners fire' or the working 'atonement.' It is that which allows us to become the Buddha. The Peace Seeker, if you will. I know that I have joy in my life and peace in my heart. I am centered and happy - and have so much more compassion than before. I am at once more vulnerable and stronger. And this is because of the 'great tragedy' in my life - which looking back on, I am profoundly grateful for...

Actually, when I was in the Caribbean in July I happened into an import shop, where I descried a small, immaculately formed Weeping Buddha - I brought it home with me. (I attached a web image of a Weeping Buddha - I don't have a picture of the one I acquired.) Because in truth, the story means more to me now then it could possibly have meant before. It is sacred to me.


4 comments:

Burt Family said...

Thanks for the update. I was about to be one of the many who get after you about not posting anything for A LONG TIME!!! I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with the ex. But you are right Labor Day will be over soon and peace will reign for a few months. Give the kids a big hug from all of us! We love you all!

Liz said...

That's a very cool story, RaeAnn. I've never heard it before and the image itself makes me want to cry. It evokes strong emotions in the observer (well, this observer anyway). I'm glad that you are all back together and in Cali again. I just got home from two weeks in Oregon and coming home gives me so much peace and returns balance to my life. Love and hugs!

Tanner Family said...

OK, so I am reading your blogs and I keep thinking... "When is she going to start writing books?" Raeann you have an amazing way of bringing black and white words to life, a true talent. Your students are in for a treat!

Love the pics and the experiences! Give the kids a squeeze... if ya'll lived here I would have Rebecca in YW with me! In my mind she is still the 6 year old I learned to adore in TX! You know we love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are all home and settling. It will be a long journey toward "calm" but I'm sure you will all reach it soon. Although I must admit after 3 long years, I still haven't found it. All my love as always. Donna