CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

The Fantastic 5

The Fantastic 5
Beware our Super Powers
We are whole and complete as a Family. We love, laugh and live together - lifting one another up and becoming stronger as we grow. We believe in eachother and cheer for one another without fear or hesitation. We will always be one - no matter where we are or who we are with... the ties that bind us are not perceptible by the eye but are unbreakable and eternal. We are pieces of one soul branching out into the world in different ways and with different talents but always grounded by the same root. We are a Family. Our common tie that brings in our nourishment and plants us firmly in the storm is that singular family root we derive from. Unique, unfettered and full of a million possibilies we bloom, because we always have the same root - we have eachother. (Photo by www.cowleystudios.com)

Sunday, August 10, 2008

We Are Home

We are home! Of all the tender mercies this is the greatest to us. We arrived today.

We made sure to fill our last week in Logan with as much fun as we could. Rebekah was finishing off girl's camp and then joined us at the end. So we went to the American West Heritage Center, water parties and birthdays, met the Muggelston's at the Fun Center, went to the fair, saw the temple, visited with the Hunsakers, saw the SLC home show, went through photos with the Sorenson's and more! Rebekah even managed to do some babysitting jobs. It was just a week on the run filled with kind and dear friends.

(Am. West Hert. Center)




(Fun Center)


(Hunsakers and our hands at Ryan's Park)





(Visiting the Willie's and the Fair)
(Touching the Walls of the Temple)

As the 7 weeks in Utah is finally over I have to make some observations. I have had ample time to consider and ascertain where I am in this process. And I realize that my boundaries are more important than previously thought. I am endowed with the ability to maintain healthy perimeters and the sense to do so diplomatically - which has served me well considering the dynamics of my situation. I have also validated the presumption that the highroad is the better one to travel - even when the way is impeded. I laugh everyday and feel deeply centered within myself - truly joyful... I love my life and those in it and around us. I am in a good place and ever grateful for the manner in which I have been supported and loved in this process. In spite of the negative inundations dispensed by my children's father we will triumph - we will be fine. This doesn't mean we are without battle wounds - but those can be dressed and heal over time. Most critically we know we have one another and that we are the eternal family... Whole.
I had a wonderful experience, which was the highlight of the week: I met the Prophet. Here's what I wrote about it:

I had the most amazing experience at the Opera on Saturday night. I met the Prophet.

I had tickets to the 1776 - One of my friend's sons works at the Opera House and received a call that the Prophet was coming that evening - thus the security would be elevated. He told me right away as I had tickets. I didn't think twice of it because Michael Ballam, head of the Opera Company, (who was in my Logan ward) is friends with most of the general authorities -so they often come down at some point in the season to enjoy the Opera Festival.

So, I was present a bit early, down on the main floor of the Opera House. I was standing with a friend when the side theater door nearest to me opened. Two security men and some men from the sheriff's department entered followed succinctly by President Monson. He stood about ten feet away from me.

I can't explain it sufficiently, but when I turned and saw the Prophet it was like there was an enclosed light around him - though there wasn't a literal light. It was as if there was this sudden stillness. A peace. And I realized it was within me... it was as if everything inside of me suddenly went quiet and in that moment my soul was perfectly still. It was amazing. And the one thought that went through me was 'Here is the Prophet of God.'

In earnest I have to say that this happened in just a split second, but I will never forget it. I talked with Bob and Marsha about it on Sunday and she said that she's had that same experience... It is difficult to verbalize but it will always stay with me.

Anyway, I stood immediately, of course, and observed as the gentleman whom accompanied the Prophet introduced him to a couple sitting right behind me. President Monson began to move into the row and as he stepped in, looked up at me and my friend, nodded, then started to say something. I held out my hand and he shook it and then graciously complimented us. I expressed my gratitude at being there with him and he made another comment, then moved down about five more seats and sat with his wife.

There wasn't an announcement nor any introduction. Only a handful of us who had been seated by this side door knew he was present. Once the lights dimmed, Michael Ballam came to the house microphone and began to speak. He thanked all those in attendance on behalf of himself and the Opera Company, said a few words about the season so far then switched gears. He said that there was a special person in the audience who at this time he wanted to recognize. That this was a man who was a dear friend to him and his family. Michael said "I want to testify" that at times this person and his family had offered prayers on behalf of Michael's own family - and that through their prayers they had seen miracles (Michael's youngest son - Ben has Spina Bifida). Michael went on to share that this person was the Living Prophet of God on earth at this time, the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and on behalf of his own family and the Opera Company he wanted to welcome President Monson and his wife.

The entire theater erupted with applause. President Monson didn't stand but raised one arm in a salute like wave. The applause continued to which the Prophet responded by standing for just a moment then took his seat. Then the opera began.

I have to affirm that this was a treasured experience and moved me deeply. I will always cherish this small opportunity, this tender mercy if you will, that Heavenly Father allowed me. -Because even though it was just a moment, it was one that places me eternally, an experience in my mind's eye that while small, is tremendous in its significance...

4 comments:

Burt Family said...

I'm so happy to hear you arrived home safe and sound! I hope the kids can get back to their safety zone and have some peace again in their lives. I know it's been a long hard summer for all of you.
That is so awesome about seeing Pres. Monson. Sounds like it came at a time when you needed that extra strength the most.
I love you RaeAnn and it breaks my heart that I can't be closer and be there more. Just know you and the children are always in my prayers and thoughts. You guys have forever changed our family because of your strength!
Love you!

Allred Fam said...

all sounds wonderful! what great experiences- glad to hear you're back home and can focus on getting ready for school and your teaching..... take care- Beth

Anonymous said...

I feel your joy babe and although I can't understand it all, I do understand that these experiences in life are what "makes life" good and whole.

I hope all the best things for you and the kids and hope one day we can have more times together.

Love you and think of you all as always.

Pedey @ Do You Smell That!!? said...

What the crap!!?? You know the Hunsakers!!!?? Maria & Terryl?! (I think I spelled his name wrong!) What are the odds!!? We know them, too! They used to live right here in Carson & go to our ward! Crazy.... Crazy, crazy, crazy!